- Ventilator Weaning
Barlow's Ventilator Weaning Program gives hope to those who are dependent upon machines to take their next breath.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program literally gets patients back on their feet.
- Care for Chronically Critically Ill
Barlow's Chronically Critically Ill Care Program provides the complex care patients with sustained severe illnesses need.
- Wound Care
Barlow's Wound Care Program helps clear up problems that may delay the healing process.
- Quality and Outcomes
Barlow's Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program literally gets patients back on their feet. Established in 1976, the program has since helped thousands of patients restore a higher level of quality to their lives. Available as an Inpatient and Outpatient Program, Barlow's Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program (PRP) is designed to help patients with breathing difficulties learn new strategies for monitoring and controlling symptoms so that they can lead more active, independent lives. Patients re-learn how to breathe, walk, conserve energy, and perform other common activities, providing practical tools to navigate everyday life situations.
Patients enter Barlow's Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program when they are experiencing:
- Shortness of breath that interferes with daily activities and self-care
- Frequent emergency room visits or hospitalizations for pulmonary problems
- Difficult to manage diagnoses, including COPD, emphysema, chronic bronchitis and asthma, among other lung diseases
Patients of Barlow's Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program work with a team of healthcare specialists to:
- Improve physical strength and endurance
- Learn proper breathing techniques and coordinate them with activities
- Increase ability to more easily perform everyday activities
- Safely and accurately use medications and oxygen
- Recognize signs and symptoms of infections and other health complications
- Adapt the home environment to better meet their individual needs
- Develop a nutritional plan that supports wellness
- Increase understanding of management of respiratory diseases among family and caregivers
Each patient's program begins with an initial assessment to identify baseline abilities and develop individual goals. Patients then work with experienced rehabilitation team members within an established schedule that includes a plan of breathing retraining, physical conditioning and education Working toward the goals of independence and self-care at home, patients achieve a greater understanding of their medical conditions, along with increased confidence and a renewed sense of dignity. Pulmonary Rehabilitation can be incorporated with other Barlow programs and services, such as Ventilator Weaning. Available as an inpatient program at all Barlow locations, this program is also offered as an outpatient service at Barlow's main campus.
Barlow's distinguished Pulmonary Rehabilitation program is also available as an outpatient service at our main campus near Downtown Los Angeles.
Barlow's Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program (PRP) is designed to help patients with breathing difficulties learn new strategies for monitoring and controlling symptoms so that they can lead more active, independent lives. Patients re-learn how to breathe, walk, conserve energy, and perform other common activities, providing practical tools to navigate everyday life situations.
The typical outpatient program consists of two sessions weekly for an average of six weeks.